“Setting goals gives your life meaning. The feeling of setting a goal, working hard, and then achieving it is the best.” – Sarah Jameson, Olympian”
The trick to goal setting is to pick goals that make you feel good and that you are excited about tackling. If you are trying to achieve something that does the opposite, then your efforts probably won’t feel as fulfilling. I’ve had clients who’ve come to personal training with a specific goal in mind and with excitement to reach those goals. I’ve also had clients who’ve come to personal training with ideas of alternative versions of themselves, but with no real plan and no real desire to make a plan. As a personal trainer and wellness coach, it’s my job to make goals into a success story without an ending – the story just gets better and better. So, what’s the formula for devouring goals?
- No matter what goal you are striving for, make sure it’s attainable (from health to going back to school, being sure that it can be done is essential)
- Understand and recognize any and all potential obstacles and come up with a plan to work through them
- Plotting smaller goals which lead the way to the big goal will serve as an encouraging guide to get you where you want to go
- Accountability – Being accountable to someone or something will fuel your desire to reach your goal
- Believe/Self-Efficacy – Believing in yourself that you can accomplish what you set out to do is the key to your success story.
- Support – having come cheerleaders in your corner will aid in the happiness and excitement in your quest
- Meaning & Emotion – Attaching meaning or an emotional reason to your goal will make the experience more real and personal. People want to do things when it means something to them.
So, what’s your goal? Share below and you’ll have a bunch of cheerleaders in your corner!